USS Iwo Jima LPH2
USS IWO JIMA (LPH-2), the first ship designed from the keel up as an amphibious assault ship was launched September 17, 1960 at Bremerton, Washington and commissioned on August 26, 1961. The ship carried a squadron of 24 Marine helicopters plus a Battalion Landing Team of 1500 Marines. The primary mission of IWO JIMA as an amphibious assault ship had been to transport Marine forces, their equipment and supplies, and land them anywhere in the world anytime those forces were needed.
While commissioned,,. IWO JIMA had been awarded the Admiral Flatley Award for aviation safety four times. The ship received many Battle Efficiency Awards for excellence in operations, amphibious assault, communications, aviation maintenance, damage control and surface-to-air missile and gunnery exercises.
Awards & Medals
Overall Length: 598 ft Waterline Length: 556 ft
Flight Deck Width